Derek Hurst is a Consultant at FTI Consulting based in Toronto. Mr. Hurst specializes in the areas of business valuation and damages quantification for both domestic and international disputes.
Prior to joining FTI Consulting, Mr. Hurst was a Senior Accountant in the Assurance practice of a major accounting firm, specializing in mining, energy, tech startup, asset management and retail clients as part of the Toronto Audit Group.
Mr. Hurst is a graduate of Queen’s University with a (Honours) Bachelor of Commerce. In addition to receiving his Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA) designations in 2016, Mr. Hurst continues to pursue other certifications through his enrollment in the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators (CICBV).
Business Valuation and Damages Quantification experience:
- Mining – Quantification of damages in a treaty arbitration under the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) rules related to a copper project in Central America. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report and model quantifying the damages to the claimant
- Mining – Quantification of damages in a treaty case under UNCITRAL rules regarding a gold project in Western Europe. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report and model quantifying the damages to the claimant
- Private Investments – Quantification of damages in a domestic dispute between a private investment management firm and a former employee. Assisted in the preparation of an expert report and damages model that quantified the amounts owing to the former employee pursuant to a long-term incentive plan based on the investment portfolio
- Asset Management – preparation of valuation model and reports
- Oil and Gas – preparation of valuation model and reports in a contract dispute in Eastern Europe between two large natural gas companies